Tuesday, October 9, 2007

Jamel Shabazz at Powerhouse


There was a tinge of excitement rousing folk at powerhouse books the other night...was it Shabazz himself arriving? No, he was present in his argyle glory. It's the 'retro' crew...mad disappointing, well there is free beer. What was even more disappointing was the fact that no one (myself included) asked the 'retro' boys if they saw the inherent irony of them getting props for vamping styles that my man Shabazz made available through the proliferation of his vision.
I mean really, these kids are rockin' a stylo they were not around to witness firsthand. So they use ebay and what have you, great. Why is all the cool gear from 15-20 years ago? Make your own way. I realize that every generation builds on the last but to straight take the same styles and just do it again...weak. I will admit in my day the 60's and 70's were really popular references, vintage pieces were coveted, and some went as far as to copy photos of the day. They were lame too. Adaption, my friends, is the key to making it your own.
The rest of the photos from Powerhouse can be found here

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

didn't mike say this??

Drew said...

Sure thing mikelisoper8tor inspired this piece. I can't deny that. Thanks Mike you're a great muse, bro.

mikeljason said...

well i may have inspired yr commentary,but you're the one who articulated well...plus its true the media is just too friendly these days with the subjects they cover. that phenomena is what helped us rush into this war and what helps Americans care more about "Dancing with the Stars" than issues that really effect our lives...I'm not preaching...well i guess I sort am ,but controversial commentary as opposed to mere flattery is what is missed ,you're doing the rt thing.Keep doing it.

Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!